Thursday, October 28, 2010

First Dashain in Nepal

Dashain, one of the largest festivals in Nepal, occurred just a few weeks ago here, as well as across many other parts of the world. The festival largely commemorates the triumph of good over evil in many different legends, such as the Ramayan, largely attributed to the evocation of the goddess Durga. Nowadays, however, there are as many commercial aspects as religious of Dashain as well. I never expected the amount of shopping I witnessed; it reminds me of Christmas back in the states, everyone and their grandma shopping and gorging on all things good in life. This was my first Dashain in Nepal, and I'll never forget it. Not only did I get to see family and visit with relatives that I've probably never met before, I also got a front row seat to what Dashain is like when a whole city celebrates it at once. I still feel as if I'm experiencing some of the repercussions of the holiday: Weight gain was inevitable after having to eat my own weight in food. Delirium from all the sights, sounds and smells is common if you're not used to them. I don't think I've ever felt so tired from just walking or driving from place to place, due to the endless flocks of people I needed to meet and greet.


It must sound like I'm complaining, but my actual sentiments could not be more at odds. I'd love to do it all over again. Don't get me wrong, Dashain is just as crazy in the U.S. within the confines of your family and homes. But overall it can't compare: The air is just full of the Dashain craze here, because almost every single person within a ten mile radius and beyond is celebrating it. It's like trying to avoid getting wet while in a swimming pool; you'd need to be wearing a full wet suit to stay dry, and even then you'd still feel the sensations of pressure and temperature from the water around you. You can't avoid it, nor should you. The valley seems to take a long and depth breath during these two weeks, a relief from the pollution, congestion and chaos of the typical Kathmandu. One can only talk so much about Dashain though; pictures are much better at illustrating all the things i've talked about and more. Visit my flickr page, and look for the Dashain set within the Nepal collection, accessible from the first page, for a full glimpse at my first Dashain here in Nepal.

No comments:

Post a Comment